Second day! And first tour day! This time, I let a lot of the pictures do the talking.
 |
This is where we will be eating. We were suppose to go to "King Arms Tavern", but I think they said it got on fire somewhere.
And this is just advertisement, it's kind of far from here. |
 |
| The Public Gaol (Jail) |
We first went to the Public Jail. The court only goes on trial 4 times every year so you'd have to wait from 3 months to 3 years to eternity if everyone is a criminal.
 |
| That's the room where they were kept before the court. You get one meal per day, and you share the room. |
Then we went to the House of Burgesses, where the laws and elections were made.
 |
| People sat at the side, Royal Governor sat on the chair. |
 |
| They believed that the bigger the chair, the more wealthy and power that man has. |
 |
| Then we went to a higher court than the House of Burgesses that I forgot it's name, and again, the bigger the chair, the more power and wealth that man has. |
 |
Then we went outside and tried an old fashioned game called balboa catcher. There's a ball and a little stick with a hole at one side and a small oval sticking out on the other side. Level 1 objective is to get the ball onto the hole. Level 2 is to get the little hole on the ball into the oval sticking out on the other side. Level 3 is to get the stick balanced onto the ball. They said the scientific way to get it in is to push up, directly, to get it into the hole. |
 |
| We went into a room to learn how people did their bows and things. |
 |
| Then we played a game. Someone puts an item in plain sight, and if you find it, you have to be sneaky and then sit down and say something, because if you're not sneaky, everyone will know where it is. The last person standing has to do something weird and/or embarrassing. |
Then we went upstairs and saw what people wore in the old days.
 |
| This is what a gentry would wear if they didn't want very formal clothes. Maybe just for a walk. |
 |
| That could actually be a slave's clothes. You never know if they are free or slaves. |
 |
| Camera not fully focused = Red Eyes! |
 |
| Camera... needed a quick shot. |
Then we went to lunch at Merchant's Square. Where we were, either you walk a mile or you take the bus. Luckily, the bus just arrived at the split second when people started walking. Just like when ants found food!
Oh fine, not really. That just came to my head.
When we got there, we went to The Cheese Shop, aka Rat Paradise ( Nah, just kidding.)! Although there's like a different store there inside the building. I ordered a BBQ sandwich and a drink. The fountain drink company was... drumroll... OMG Pepsi. They had Pepsi because of one reason: Dr. Pepper. That's like the new fashion of a drink these days. The only thing I liked was Pepsi, and so you guessed it, that's my drink.
 |
| *Poker face* |
Then we were suppose to meet at a building called "Bruton Paris Church".
 |
| On the way I got distracted and took a photo, again. |
Tine to go to the magazine! Not the one where you read, but the one when you murder and injure people.
 |
| Rifles! This is where the British attacked when the Americans wanted to be independent. |
 |
| Add caption |
Then we started for everyone's trades. First stop: cooper.
 |
| I think this picture tells you what cooper makes: barrels. |
Then we went to a well, where they got their water. Remember, they didn't go to the grocery store and buy 24-pack 20 oz Aquafina bottled waters.
To get the bucket out you pull the rope attached to the pulley.
 |
| It was about 40 feet deep and since it was so low the water maintained a very cool temperature. I threw a pebble down there and it took 3 seconds! I also saw a soda bottle down there. |
Then we went to the Printer and Binder. They're the one that makes paper with printing and binding.
 |
| Starts off with leather and a stack of papers. You first thin out the leather, then you attach the leather to the book. Then you heat up a tool that's like a stick with a spin-able circle and at the the ends there's a design and you roll that design onto the leather. But be fast and careful: It will start to cool down. Then if you're rich, you can fill the design with gold, and then fill the papers with nothing and just walk around town with it, so they'll know you're rich. |
Then we went to the Silversmith shop. They make items out of... you guessed it, silver, aka money.
 |
| This is where they worked. |
Then we went to the Mantuamaker, aka "gown maker".
 |
| They also made dolls, and she didn't make those, but I don't get why the silversmith makes their own items. Some were imported from China and Europe. |
Then we went to the barber.
 |
These are ALL men wigs. All.
I bet if you lived during that time and you're still living right know, you'll be like: "OMG, what was I wearing? Why did I wear that?" |
Then we were going to my trade, apothecary! They're your doctor, dentist, prescriptionist, pharmacist, and all those medical things.
 |
| If you can't notice due to the reduced size so my blog won't be so long, the jars are in Latin because everywhere around the world finds medicines and so they decided to use a language no one spoke for their main language, Latin, so people will be confused and it looks sophisticated. |
 |
| Behind the scenes! |
Then we went to play a game: Hooping Scotch (something like that). It's where there's a wooden stick (SO MANY STICKS!) and a wooden wheel and you hit the wheel with the stick to make it move, and the first person/group to finish will say, "Huzzah!" and win, but you don't get to say "Huzzah!" or even "Zuppa!" if you didn't finish.
 |
| It's kind of like you're spanking the wheel part that's in midair. |
And then the tour was over, and we had about half an hour until lunch at "Shield's Tavern." While we waited outside of the tavern, George Washington was talking about something about being independent, and I saw his speaker on his cheek.
 |
| The kind of Patrick Henry! No not really. |
Then, the doors of Shield's Tavern ... OPENED!! sesame
There were 3 floors: Underground (Main, about 40 tables), the level (2nd, there's like 5 tables), and the top (about 20). There were also 2 doors: front and back, but both are in the same building (duh).
 |
| Oh, and the underground has no like 5-20 small lights, and others are all wax and fire. Kids beware! AKA me. I'll burn down the whole city! :p |
Don't order Sprite. Just, don't. I don't know what's wrong with it, and I can't really tell. But, just DON"T! I used 2 apostrophes because it's twice as important. First we had for our starters: bread and butter! The butter was in a bowl scooped with an ice-cream scoopers or those curved scoopers, so I thought the butter was vanilla ice cream, but I still knew it was butter. After eating one l roll, by making the time pass by, I was talking to my friends, and looking around the place while I go to the bathroom. Today's special: Beef and a lot of vegetables. The beef was VERY tender, it was as soft as beef in porridge cooked for 12 hours. Then it was time for the dessert special: Vanilla Ice Cream! Actually the butter was a little more yellow than vanilla. I wonder what company they bought it from.
After a refreshing dessert, we went to the bus for our 2-group split going to African-American Music, and tomorrow we will go to Ghosts Among Us.
Bus ride, bus ride... so much waiting! I had the camera and I was making it focus on everything that passed by me.
When we got there, it looked like we were in the woods and plains. It's very sad that we aren't allowed to take pictures during that time. I'll just show it to you using words.
There was a walkway leading into a plain field and there were fire burning on firewood burning on a basket. DO NOT WALK UNDER THE BASKET! Repeat after me: I WILL, NOT, WALK UNDER, THE BASKET!
I walked under it beside it :) It was so refreshing because it was getting cold.
They started off talking about the African people working in the fields at a hot 110-130 degrees. To get them working, they sang songs or did something to get the rhythm. We were hoeing while we repeated what someone said, stomping twice, patting our legs twice, clapping twice, snapping twice, and the speed depends on how far the boss is from you. Then they told a story, and then it was dark, which meant, time to go the suites! When I got there I went our room and started working on my blog and playing games. After 2 weeks, I finally finish the first one. Right now. Then I went to sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment